Today’s theme, chosen by The Broke and the Bookish, is a Halloween Freebie, and we’re supposed to create a list of anything Halloween related or scary.
However, I do not celebrate Halloween. Therefore, I have decided to create my own Top Ten list of Books that encourage and inspire me.
- The Bible, my preference is the NIV published in 1984 or earlier, and the 1599 Geneva Bible.
- My Utmost for His Highest by Oswald Chambers.
- A Charles Dickens Devotional This book offers an excerpt from a Dickens novel, with a lesson and Bible verse for each day. I enjoy it because I have always enjoyed Dickens’ novels, though I still haven’t read them all.
- The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C. S. Lewis
- Les Miserables by Victor Hugo. This is a wonderful story of redemption.
- To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee. This story is a wonderful example of standing up for what is right, for what you believe, no matter what everyone else thinks.
- Long Way Gone by Charles Martin. This is a story about real unconditional love and second chances in an unexpected way.
- The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd because it’s a great story of love and acceptance across color/race boundaries.
- Grey Matter: A Neurosurgeon Discovers the Power of Prayer by David Levy, M.D. This is a story of testimony of the power of prayer.
- Dirty God by Johnnie Moore. This book is about the amazing grace we can freely receive through/from Jesus Christ.